[jdom-interest] API Inertia

Noam Tamim noamt at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 03:22:59 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Hunter" <jhunter at acm.org>
To: "Brett McLaughlin" <brett at newInstance.com>
Cc: <jdom-interest at jdom.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 08:37
Subject: Re: [jdom-interest] API Inertia
> about what it can output.  An output(Node) method only makes sense if
> Node has a way to help the output, as if Node had a getSerializedForm()
> method.  But you want to use this to *avoid* getSerializedForm().  So
> you're stuck.

Just a note: my original Item interface DID include getSerializedForm() as
it's ONLY method.
At that time, I didn't know you're actually removing that method from all
items.

Also, now that I've heard all the arguments about having that Item/Node
interface, I'm not sure I even want it. It can help developers, but it's
also very confusing because you can't really make your own Node (well, you
can declare that you class implements Node, but we've seen it doesn't mean
much).

I'm still not sure that I'm against Node, though.

 - Noam.