[jdom-interest] * Using JDOM In Applet Help Needed

Josh Lam joshlam2000 at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 23:58:35 PDT 2001

Hi,

I am attempting to use JDOM in an applet for XML
manipulation.  However, I realised that there is a
apparent dependency on the xerces.jar file which is
about 1.4 M.  We have to support users of the applet
who are using 28.8 modems and causing them to download
the xerces.jar file (in addition to other class files
and jar files) is not an option.

On the other hand, I plan to use the SAXBuilder to
read any XML data in the applet.  I was wondering if
it is a good idea to 'repackage' the xerces.jar file
ie extract only classes that I need into a smaller jar
file?  If so, does any one know what is the minimum
set of classes I need?

I would also welcome any other suggestions (eg any way
around the xerces.jar or another other alternative jar
files). Having programmed with JDOM a bit, I would
hate to use other APIs such as DOM.

Thanks.

--
Josh