[jdom-interest] JDOM JSR

Amy Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Thu May 17 15:50:34 PDT 2001

I like this example ...

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 11:01:22AM -0400, Alex Rosen wrote:
>I like to think of the java.io.File class as a very JDOM-like class. There's a
>reason we say:
>
>  File parent = new File(filepath);
>  File child = new File(parent, "aaa.txt");
>
>rather than:
>
>  FileSystem fs = FileSystem.getDefaultFileSystem();
>  File parent = fs.getFile(filepath);
>  File child = fs.getFile(parent, "aaa.txt");
>
>On the other hand, nobody ever (or rarely) subclasses File. I don't know if

Perhaps this is the reason that I so often find myself frustrated with
some of the characteristics of JDOM.  I *was* involved in a project
that included creation of filesystem objects.  Perhaps the environment
that I tend to move in is different from the target for JDOM?

I'm increasingly of the opinion that JDOM won't scale to "enterprise"
(which is a meaningless buzzword much of the time, but here means "very
large documents, many passes over documents, lots of interrogation")
scale.  DOM ... ugh.  Just ugh.  I suppose it has the power, but it's
like using BASIC.  So I was hoping for a framework that had, not all
the power that I need (which is sometimes more than most imaginable
tree APIs can handle ... fall back to SAX), but the power of easy
extension.

BTW, the code (second example above) is not terribly different from
what JNDI looks like, with the filesystem provider ....

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn at mindspring.com          amyzing at talsever.com
There's someone in my head, but it's not me.