[jdom-interest] JDOM JSR

Amy Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Thu May 17 20:31:46 PDT 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 07:21:59PM -0400, Alex Rosen wrote:
>> BTW, the code (second example above) is not terribly different from
>> what JNDI looks like, with the filesystem provider ....
>
>Funny. I was just reading the FAQ for JSR-10, the preferences API:
>
>"Q: How does this API relate to JNDI?
>A: Like JNDI, it API provides back-end neutral access to persistent key-value
>data. JNDI, however, is far more powerful, and correspondingly heavyweight.
>JNDI is appropriate for enterprise applications that need its power. This API
>is intended as a simple, ubiquitous, back-end neutral preferences-management
>facility, enabling any Java application to easily tailor its behavior to user
>preferences and maintain small amounts of state from run to run."
>
>Seems like at least one other group is going for the easy-to-use,
>less-heavyweight goal...

Sure.  Good goal, just not what I thought JDOM's goal was (somewhere on
the web pages or in the book, it gets billed as a "pure java" XML
implementation, with the implications that DOM ain't, and that it
should scale from small to large).

JNDI isn't actually hard to use (LDAP is a little painful).  I've spent
the last three weeks building a custom provider (for yet-another
enterprise API, JMS).  There's not much chance, in the environments in
which I work, that JSR-10 would be chosen over JNDI; the choice is
always likely to be JNDI with a custom provider (for standalone
deployment), able to use existing naming/directory installations.

[aside: normal usage of JNDI is on the order of Context context = new
InitialContext(); Preference preference =
(Preference)context.lookup("name");  But it scales mightily, with
increased need, including not only factories, but factories for
factories (at which the mind boggles) ... all optional]

So if JDOM is planning on being the lightweight alternative (don't use
for heavy lifting), then I'm prolly not in the right place.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn at mindspring.com          amyzing at talsever.com
There's someone in my head, but it's not me.