[jdom-interest] JDOM JSR

Amy Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Thu May 17 20:31:46 PDT 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 07:21:59PM -0400, Alex Rosen wrote:
>> BTW, the code (second example above) is not terribly different from
>> what JNDI looks like, with the filesystem provider ....
>Funny. I was just reading the FAQ for JSR-10, the preferences API:
>"Q: How does this API relate to JNDI?
>A: Like JNDI, it API provides back-end neutral access to persistent key-value
>data. JNDI, however, is far more powerful, and correspondingly heavyweight.
>JNDI is appropriate for enterprise applications that need its power. This API
>is intended as a simple, ubiquitous, back-end neutral preferences-management
>facility, enabling any Java application to easily tailor its behavior to user
>preferences and maintain small amounts of state from run to run."
>Seems like at least one other group is going for the easy-to-use,
>less-heavyweight goal...

Sure.  Good goal, just not what I thought JDOM's goal was (somewhere on
the web pages or in the book, it gets billed as a "pure java" XML
implementation, with the implications that DOM ain't, and that it
should scale from small to large).

JNDI isn't actually hard to use (LDAP is a little painful).  I've spent
the last three weeks building a custom provider (for yet-another
enterprise API, JMS).  There's not much chance, in the environments in
which I work, that JSR-10 would be chosen over JNDI; the choice is
always likely to be JNDI with a custom provider (for standalone
deployment), able to use existing naming/directory installations.

[aside: normal usage of JNDI is on the order of Context context = new
InitialContext(); Preference preference =
(Preference)context.lookup("name");  But it scales mightily, with
increased need, including not only factories, but factories for
factories (at which the mind boggles) ... all optional]

So if JDOM is planning on being the lightweight alternative (don't use
for heavy lifting), then I'm prolly not in the right place.

Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn at mindspring.com          amyzing at talsever.com
There's someone in my head, but it's not me.
		-- Pink Floyd