[jdom-interest] * Using JDOM In Applet Help Needed

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Mon May 21 01:55:34 PDT 2001

I'm confused about the Electric XML license.  Here's snippets from the
conversation over the past week.

graham glass wrote:
> yes, no problem!

Jason now writes:

It seems dom4j can write an adapter that converts from electric xml
to/from dom4j trees.  And it seems JDOM could write a similar adapter.
But if we call the JDOM adapter a "builder" and use it to build JDOM
documents using the electric xml parser, then we violate the electric
XML license because that would qualify as "integrating Electric XML into
an alternative to Electric XML".

Maybe giving benefit of the doubt, Graham didn't understand the
technical details when he initially posted what we could and couldn't
do.  But regardless, it proves this point to me:  I don't want to use
software where my use rights can be whimsically dictated by someone
else.  And I'm really not sure why anyone else would either.

For those who are new to open source, you should check out the Open
Source Definition (http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.html)
and see what a license must satisfy to be qualified as open source.  Not
all open source licenses are great, and not all non-open source licenses
are poor, but having an open source license always gives the user some
important assurances.  Clauses 5 and 6 of the definition prohibit
restricting use rights:

5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
The license must not discriminate against any person or group of
persons.

6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a
specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program
from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.