[jdom-interest] ID/IDREF support and XPath

bob mcwhirter bob at werken.com
Thu May 24 07:30:17 PDT 2001

> I just went through the list archives to see if I could find any support
> for ID and IDREF.  The last thing that I saw was for beta 2, and it said
> that there wasn't any support for it at the time.  I don't know if
> things have changed since then.  Have they?

That requires parsing of the DTD to figure out which attribute
is the ID attribute.  Non trivial.

> Also, I know that Werken and Sons are working on an XPath implmentation,
> and I'm thinking of trying to learn it to use it.  For those of you that
> have used it, what did you think?  Do you swear by or at it?

Yes, we have an implementation thas has been target at JDOM, and
also a port to DOM4J.

This week, I'm working on a rewrite, attempting to unify the implementation
to work across all flavors of DOMs (JDOM, DOM4J, w3c DOM).

Also, I'm getting away from the antlr.org parser-generator, and using
a highly optimized hand-written parser, to makes things Go Faster.

Though, the current werken.xpath certainly is usable in the meantime.

	-bob