[jdom-interest] Questions on validating large XML documents

Changqing Zhen czhen2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 11:18:34 PST 2001

Hi,

The project I'm working on involves the validation of
large XML documents.  I've got some basic questions:

1. When using a parser such as Apache Xerces to
validate an XML document, is the whole document loaded
into the memory or a "chunk" at a time?  This is
important to us as we need to validate very large XML
documents (some are up to hundreds of mega bytes).  If
the parser loads the XML document into the memory a
"chunk" at a time, how big is the "chunk"?  How does
this affect the performance of XML document
validation?

2. If we need to transform the original XML document
using XSLT such as Apache Xalan, the whole XML
document would have to be loaded into the memory as
DOM representation of the XML document will be
generated for the XSLT processor.  If this is true, is
there any workaround to avoid loading the whole
document when transforming an XML document using XSL
stylesheets?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Charlie