[jdom-interest] Re: Out of date JAR files in %JDOM_HOME%\lib directory

Brett McLaughlin brett at newinstance.com
Thu Nov 1 19:34:46 PST 2001

> > > I see Crimson 1.1.3 includes the javax.xml.* classes, except it
doesn't
> > > include javax.xml.transform.*.  Wonder how they got away with that?
> >
> > Crimson is a /parser/, not a processor, so wouldn't be able to perform
> > transformations anyway. Xerces does the same thing, btw.
>
> That doesn't change the specification license that Sun slaps on every
> JSR saying, "You must implement everything, or nothing".

Hmmm... also interesting is Section 5.0 of the JAXP spec: Conformance
Requirements. It clearly outlines the requirements of JAXP with regard to
what parsing behavior must be supported, but says nothing about transformer
compliance. I can't imagine that any reasonable expectation could exist
saying a parser vendor cannot implement JAXP 1.1 without supplying a
processor. Just doesn't make sense...

It's also interesting that the last section, Future Directions (7.0) states
that XSLT will be provided in "a future version." The implication here is
that JAXP 1.1 doesn't have all it's i's dotted and t's crossed... ending up
with loopholes plenty ;-) I'm gonna send some mail out to the comments
address.

---
Brett McLaughlin            <http://www.newInstance.com>
Lutris Technologies         <http://www.lutris.com>