[jdom-interest] JDom memory requirement

Vijay Kumar VKUMAR at Partnerware.com
Mon Nov 12 07:01:29 PST 2001

Laurent
 Can I have a copy of this builer as well. We need to build a
huge dom and then write it to a file.

vijay

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent Bihanic [mailto:laurent.bihanic at atosorigin.com]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 2:53 AM
To: Richard Han
Cc: jdom-interest at jdom.org
Subject: Re: [jdom-interest] JDom memory requirement

Hi, Richard,

Richard Han wrote:

> We are working data import for Scarab open source project,  we would
> like to ask a question: does JDom require every elements in memory?

No, JDOM does not require it. But the existing builders (such as SAXBuilder)

load the whole XML document in memory and do not give you the possibility to

only process portions of it.

But JDOM allows you to create your own builders. As our project needs to
process megabyte-large XML files, I wrote a builder that takes XPath
expressions and only creates the elements matching those expressions.
I'm working with Jason to make it available in the jdom-contrib module.

In the mean time, if you are interested in getting it, just drop me a mail.

Laurent