[jdom-interest] Using and extending JDOM

bob mcwhirter bob at werken.com
Sun Nov 18 08:52:17 PST 2001

> Handling of IDs: ID and IDREF attributes are used to link elements to each
> other, across subtrees. Most documents I've seen use naming conventions to
> convey whether they're IDs or IDREFs, e.g. <location id="..."> and <path
> location="...">. In the absence of the DTD, it seems natural to implement
> this logic in an object that has access to the docType declaration and/or
> rootElement.

Just a note...

There's been quite the discussion of IDs-without-DTDs/Schemas over on
XML-DEV lately.  I think Leigh Dodds has recapped at xml.com, also.

Basically:  It's not a trivial thing, to find IDs without a document
descriptor of some sort.  Folks are working on a standard way to deal
with it, but in light of SOAP (which requires no DTD, and disallows
PIs, etc), and other formats, it becomes a Hard Problem rather quickly.

	-bob