[jdom-interest] HTML Transformation from xml/xsl

Laurent Bihanic laurent.bihanic at atosorigin.com
Wed Oct 3 00:58:21 PDT 2001

Hi,

JDOMSource allows to directly use a JDOM Document as input for a
transformation without requiring you to first serialize it to text with
XMLOutputter.
JDOMResult allows you to convert the output of a transformation into a JDOM
Document.

In your case, you can not use JDOMResult as the transformation output is HTML,
not XML. As your input XML is a file, JDOMSource would not help you either
unless you currently create that file from a JDOM Document just for the
purpose of applying the transformation. In that case, using JDOMSource will
boost the performances.

Laurent

Peter.H.Roberts at bbh.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
>      I am currently using Xalan's Transformer Factory to output HTML from an XML/XSL transformation:-
>
> public void transform (  PrintWriter out, String xmlFile,String xslFile)
>        throws IOException, java.net.MalformedURLException
> {
>      System.out.println("transform JdomB6 " + CDSNJ.EOL +
>                             xmlFile + " " + CDSNJ.EOL + xslFile);
>      // Output goes in the response stream.
>                 InputStream xmlStream = null;
>                 InputStream xslStream = null;
>      try
>      {
>        TransformerFactory tFactory = TransformerFactory.newInstance();
>        URL xmlURL = new URL( xmlFile );
>        java.net.URLConnection xmlURLConn = xmlURL.openConnection();
>        xmlStream = xmlURLConn.getInputStream();
>        Source xmlSource = new StreamSource(xmlStream);
>        URL xslURL = new URL( xslFile );
>        java.net.URLConnection xslURLConn = xslURL.openConnection();
>        xslStream = xslURLConn.getInputStream();
>        Source xslSource = new StreamSource(xslStream);
>        // Generate the transformer.
>        Transformer transformer = tFactory.newTransformer(xslSource);
>        // Perform the transformation, sending the output to the response.
>        transformer.transform(xmlSource, new StreamResult(out));
>      }    catch (Exception e) {
>        out.write(e.getMessage());
>        e.printStackTrace(out);
>      } finally {
>        xmlStream.close();
>        xslStream.close();
>      }
> }
>
> Is this the preffered way of doing this, I see you have added new JDOMResult and JDOMSOurce but these only create Dom's after a transform.
>
> Peter.

                  wWw
                 (o o)
-------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------------------------------------
Laurent Bihanic           | Tel: +33 (0)1 55.91.21.93  (Direct line)
Atos Origin               |      +33 (0)1 55.91.20.00
Intégration - e-Business  | Fax: +33 (0)1 55.91.22.31
Les Miroirs - Bat. C      |
18, avenue d'Alsace       |
F-92926 La Defense Cedex  | e-Mail: laurent.bihanic at atosorigin.com

"Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question and the answer
  is no."

DISCLAIMER:
The opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily be
those of my employer.  Also, I am not now nor have I ever been a
lawyer.  My opinions are provided as-is with absolutely no warrantee of
merchantability or fitness for any particular use.  Besides, you can't
prove I typed this.  No body saw me type this.  Who says I typed this?