[jdom-interest] XPath bindings?

bob mcwhirter bob at werken.com
Thu Oct 11 20:32:10 PDT 2001

Howdy folks--

Now that Jaxen is pretty darn compliant with regards JDOM (including
the namespace:: axis), I was wondering if we might want to spec out an
XPath binding.  I know the FAQ says maybe 1.1 would include XPath support,
and the JSR is for 1.0 only, but, XPath is seeming very useful to many
folks, and The Other Models seem to support it.

Thus, I propose adding, to Document and Element the following:

	public List selectNodes(String xpathExpr);
	public Object selectSingleNode(String xpathExpr);

Jaxen supports other convenience methods, such as booleanValueOf(...),
but I'm not proposing adding those.  Following the 80/20 rule, the
two simple select..() methods seem sufficient.  Folks needing more
power than that can venture into direct Jaxen usage.

If accepted, I'll gladly generate a diff against CVS to add this
functionality.

	-bob