[jdom-interest] Huge slowdown when reading > 15 xml files

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Tue Oct 23 16:51:45 PDT 2001

> The problem is Element.addContent( String) concatenates
> adjacent String
> elements. On c_large_123k_1.xml that came out to 24770 String appends.
> Commenting out all code in org.jdom.Element.addContent(String)
> except the last line "content.add( data)" yielded a dramatic
> speed up on
> par with the a_small_*.xml test cases, but at the cost of
> content.size() > 24,000.

I am embarrased to say that I didn't even look at addContent(String), just
identified it as the problem. At least I thought of the right solution of
appending where appropriate.  Now we just need to make this work better. I
think the optimizations we have been talking about make sense but it still
needs to be proven.

> For specialized cases like this, I like using the power of
> extension and
> would extend DefaultJDOMFactory and Element (redefining addContent) to
> fit my needs.

To bad you can't just extend String ;-)