[jdom-interest] Issues with XMLOutputter
gb at opengroup.org
Mon Sep 17 02:02:48 PDT 2001
I am currently writing a subclass of XMLOutputter and I have a few
queries/issues with it:
1. The actual indent used is not available...should I use indent ()?
2. The doIndent variable is not available...should I use indent()?
3. The expandEmptyElements variable is not available...if I override
printElement how do I know whether to expand empty elements?
4. The textNormalize variable is not available...does this matter for
printing out the content of an element?
5. It would be really useful to have printAttributes take in the indent
level since then you could "prettify" the attributes...i.e. not have to
print them on a single line, my personal preference for prettied
b="hi there" />
Since this would probably break existing applications a new method
protected int getIndentLevel () would probably be better...or make the
indentLevel int protected.
6. If would be very useful to have a printContent that would handle the
printing of a object...i.e. so that I don't have to handle each type of
content explicitly in the printElement method, it could throw an
IllegalArgumentException if you passed the wrong type.
So you would pass it an Object, which would be a CDATA, Element
etc...and it would then call the relevant method...i.e.
if (Object instanceof CDATA)
7. Who handles the new lines? i.e. should I have to worry about it?
Especially if I override printElement? i.e. when I close off the
tag with > should I put on a new line before calling printX. Since
the newlines boolean is not available how do I know whether to?
8. When is printElement (without List) called as opposed to printElement
with the content List?
9. I presume printString is used for printing the actual content of the
element, i.e. the textual content, is this correct? So I would use:
printString (Element.getText ());
How does tie in with the normalizing of text?
10. If I override printElement effectively I am taking control of the whole
tree walk...is this true? If so, having the variables available becomes
Any and all thoughts on this would be appreciated...
More information about the jdom-interest