[jdom-interest] Dealing with binary characters in-memory -> outputter

Attila Szegedi szegedia at freemail.hu
Fri Sep 21 06:33:41 PDT 2001

Strange. I've never came across a situation where XMLOutputter "ignores"
UTF-8. It may be optimized in a way that it does not output encoding
specification into the output XML declaration. It is completely legal, as
the default encoding per XML spec is UTF-8, so it can be omitted in this

If this is not the issue, then it might be that you're not specifying UTF-8
everywhere you should. I hope you're aware that in order to have
XMLOutputter use specific encoding, you must specify the encoding BOTH to a
Writer AND to the XMLOutputter setEncoding, like:

File outputFile = ...;
String encoding = "UTF-8";
Document doc = ....;

Writer w = new BufferedWriter(new OutputStreamWriter(new
FileOutputStream(outputFile), encoding));
    XMLOutputter outputter = new XMLOutputter();
    outputter.output(doc, w);