[jdom-interest] CDATA class

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Apr 5 10:14:59 PST 2002

I'm working up my JDOM notes for SD2002 next month. A couple of quick
questions:

1. At various times it's been suggested that CDATA be made a subclass of
Text. Has there been a final decision on that one way or the other? If
nothing else making CDATA a subclass of text would:
  A. Make the codebase smaller
  B. Make JDOM simpler for programmers who don't care about CDATA
sections. They could just treat them like any other text node.
  C. Be a little closer to the infoset model.

2. Is CDATA really the right name? In point of fact, CDATA is actually
an attribute type in XML. What the CDATA class models is really a
CDATASection. This is probably our last opportunity to get this right.
After 1.0 we really won't be able to change it.

|           The XML Bible, 2nd Edition (IDG Books, 2001)             |
|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:   http://www.cafeaulait.org/     |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News:  http://www.cafeconleche.org/   |