[jdom-interest] Common interface for "node" classes.

O'neil, Jerome joneil at cobaltgroup.com
Tue Apr 30 08:05:37 PDT 2002

I've been working with JDOM for creating object models for semi-complicated
XML, and it's been great.  One of the smaller nits I'm constantly picking is
the lack of a shared type for "node" classes like Element and Text.  Common
tasks like getParent and detach should be specified by a common interface,
say JDOMNode or some such thing.

For example...

// Methods of particular interest to Jerome for the
// immediate future. :)
interface JDOMNode{
	public JDOMNode detach();
	public Element getParent();
}

class Element implements Serializable, Cloneable, JDOMNode{ .... }
class Text implements Serializable, Cloneable, JDOMNode{ .... }

This would mean not having to check for explicit types before casting while
iterating over child collections, which would be handy-dandy, IMO.  I know
there was some brief discussion of this kind of thing in the list archives,
but I don't know if anything was ever decided.  I know it starts to tinker
with existing interfaces, but I think it's a good thing.

Polymorphism.  It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Thanks!

--
Jerome O'Neil
Sr. Software Engineer