[jdom-interest] newbie question

Robert Koberg rob at koberg.com
Wed Dec 4 06:01:38 PST 2002

Hi,

I definitely see this as the easiest way, but what is the fastest? least memory
intensive?

Should you try to avoid XPath if you are concerned with the fastest (perhaps
there is a way to use the xpath key()?), least memory intensive and just
recursively iterate over the nodes?

Is there something about JDOM that makes XPath in Java much better performing
than using DOM? Or by using XPath do you have the same problems (memory) that
you have with DOM?

thanks for any clarification,
-Rob

>to directly access nodes anywhere in the XML tree is to use
> XPath expressions and an XPath engine that supports JDOM (such as Jaxen
> (www.jaxen.org) or use the latest JDOM from CVS that integrates Jaxen).
> The expression "//description" selects all the <description> elements in the
> document.
>
> With JDOM's latest:
>     import org.jdom.xpath.XPath;
>
>     XPath desc = XPath.newInstance("//description");
>     for (Iterator i=desc.selectNodes(doc).iterator(); i.hasNext(); )
>     {
>        Element e = (Element)i.next();
>        System.out.println(e.getText());
>     }