[jdom-interest] XMLOutputter and newlines afterdeclaration/doctype

Bradley S. Huffman hip at a.cs.okstate.edu
Thu Dec 19 10:16:48 PST 2002

Vadim.Strizhevsky at morganstanley.com writes:

> In a specific concrete example I need to have a log of all messages that
> went through the system per day,I then need an efficent/quick way to
> replay these messages through the system. The system is fed messages over
> the network, It doesn't make sense to read the file with XML parser as I
> just need to send bytes over the wire. Something needs to read this
> log and feed the system one message a time. Breaking the file apart on a
> newline is easier/quicker than searching for <?xml... separation.

Breaking on a sequence of characters isn't much harder. In this situation
I'd use "<>" as seperator since it will never appear in a well-formed XML
document and using such a common character as a newline for a seperator to
me is just begging for trouble.

But, like ERH, I not sure this is the best use of XML.

Brad

"when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"