[jdom-interest] XMLOutputter and newlinesafterdeclaration/doctype

Eric Rosenberg eric at computerwizards.com
Thu Dec 19 12:52:01 PST 2002

If it doesn't matter then why are you so opposed to the newlines not
being there? Why is it an invalid use of JDOM to use it to build an xml
document and return it, and to also dump the message to a log file?
Obviously, the log file isn't a valid xml document, nor should it be.
That doesn't mean that someone wouldn't want to be able process that log
file in some way with a script.

I do this all the time. I have a servlet that uses JDOM to procuce XML
that is returned to the client. I also dump the xml to tomcat's log file
so that I can see what is being produced. How's that an inapropriate use
of JDOM?

You say that there is a lot of things that XML Outputter produces that
you can't control. But are there other cases where XML Outputter says it
does something, but actually only sorta does that thing with some
exceptions?