[jdom-interest] Character encoding from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1

dumdum 420 dumdum420 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 3 13:28:36 PST 2002

I have a xml feed with encoding set to UTF-8. This contains certain European
characters. I have to parse this XML and insert it into Oracle Database
which supports ISO-8859-1.

Once I accomplish the output of the insert make the characters some of them
look very very funny.

Is they a way in Java or a workaround how I can convert from UTF-8 to
ISO-8859-1 in a exact fashion.

Take care.

Bhanu Pabreja.

Here is a simple line try converting it to ISO-8859-1 from UTF-8 and you can
figure out how it is done.

<testForConversionToISO88591>
The purpose of this abstract is to test passing foreign characters from the
Notes system, through UTF-8 xml, into Oracle, and then ultimately back out
into UTF-8 XML that sits on the file system. This abstract contains the
following foreign characters:
[ Euro symbol: €  ] [ Full Quotes:  “Competing on the Edge”  ] [ Normal
Quotes: “Competing on the Edge” ] [ m-dash:  –  ] [ characters: ØÅ ] [ “e”
accent aigu: é ] [ “e” with circumflex: ê ] [ “a” accent grave: à ] [ “u”
with umlaut: ü ] [ “o” with umlaut: ö ] [ “a” with umlaut: ä ]
</testForConversionToISO88591>