[jdom-interest] DOCTYPE still giving me the worst headache!

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Feb 4 19:13:16 PST 2002

>I don't think we should allow colons in JDOM element names.  If we do,
>people are going to try to put colons in element names as a way to
>manage namespaces (since that's the obvious way to do it), and get
>themselves into loads of trouble.

I agree, but you mistook what I did. checkElementName() is still
there and still used for elements. That hasn't changed. Its behavior
has not changed. However *entity* names can contain colons (as can
other types of XML names like ID and IDREF attribute values). This
requires a different method to check. That's why I exposed and used
checkXMLName(). But I didn't in any way change the existing behavior
or interface of the Element class.