[jdom-interest] Parse errors unless comment added

Fred Clewis clewisf at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 16 09:02:42 PST 2002

I'm using JDOM b7 and xerces with JRE 1.2.2.  I don't think it's a JDOM
problem but I would appreciate any ideas.  My problems is that I get the
[Fatal Error] :-1:-1: XML document structures must start and end within the
XMLMessage(String) constructor JDOM exception
org.jdom.JDOMException: Error in building from stream: XML document
structures m
ust start and end within the same entity.
        at org.jdom.JDOMException.<init>(JDOMException.java:119)
        at org.jdom.input.DOMBuilder.build(DOMBuilder.java:279)
when I use the code below with either DOM or SAX:
DOMBuilder builder = new DOMBuilder();
//SAXBuilder builder = new SAXBuilder();
thisDocument = builder.build(new ByteArrayInputStream(string.getBytes()));
to read the xml below if the comment is removed.  It works with the comment
as shown.  I have also determined that the problem is related to the
consolidated tag syntax:  <SystemBackupList/>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Message id="M11292064" version="1.4" bodyType="HUBONLYOFFLINE"
sourceLogicalId="FrontEnd" authenticationId="USERID">
 <COMMAND cmdType="GetSystemProfile">

does this weirdness sound familiar to anyone?

Fred Clewis