[jdom-interest] JDOMException with relative URL to DTD

Mike Hogarth mike at hogarth.org
Sat Jan 19 22:15:34 PST 2002

Not sure why this is happening.

An external system was changed and now references a DTD
using a relative path:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE PubmedArticleSet PUBLIC "-//NLM//DTD
PubMedArticle, 14th January 2002//EN"
"/entrez/query/DTD/pubmed_020114.dtd">

This now "breaks" my application which now issues the
following JDOM exception:
org.jdom.JDOMException: Error on line 0: File
"file:///entrez/query/DTD/pubmed_020114.dtd" not found. 	at
org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:300) 	at
org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:583) 	at
edu.ucdavis.mi.pubmed.PubMedRetriever.getRecord(PubMedRetrie
ver.java:64) 	at Demo.main(Demo.java:61)

Any help is greatly appreciated....

Can't tell from the XML spec which references RFC2732
whether relative paths to DTD's is ok, but I think it is.

Is JDOM making an incorrect reference regarding the path
and inserting "file://"?

I also instantiate a SAXBuilder to not validate thinking it
would ignore any problems with a DTD...  Looks like it will
always attempt to get the DTD even if it is not going to be
used for validation, yes?

I am using JDOM b7.

Thanks in advance.

--Mike Hogarth