[jdom-interest] Xerxes Parser and JDOM

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Fri Jan 25 16:37:58 PST 2002

A couple weeks ago Tobias wrote in complaining that his applet was
always trying to fetch xerces.jar from his server while he was using
crimson.jar as his parser, and wondered why.  I pointed him at the
MANIFEST.MF file.  Seems that was the culprit.

So now we have a decision to make.  Do we

a) Remove the Class-Path line from the MANIFEST.  Upside:  People who
use Crimson won't see two 404 hits.  Downside:  People who use Xerces
will have to explicitly include it in the applet tags.  Further
downside:  The cool "java -jar jdom.jar" easter egg won't work anymore!

b) Keep the Class-Path line.  Upside:  Easy Xerces and cool -jar.
Downside:  Two wasted hits.

I suspect there may be a third choice, or more upsides/downsides to this
issue, so I'm writing to the list to see if anyone else has a thought.

-jh-