[jdom-interest] When to use SAXBuilder or DOMBuilder?

Alex Rosen arosen at silverstream.com
Tue Jul 2 07:24:27 PDT 2002

I think SAXBuilder and DOMBuilder are confusingly named. SAXBuilder converts
an XML file into a JDOM tree (and it happens to do this using SAX).
DOMBuilder converts a DOM tree into a JDOM tree. So if you've already got a
DOM tree, use DOMBuilder, otherwise use SAXBuilder.

I think the DOM vs. SAX rules that you mention are really tree vs. no-tree
rules. DOM and JDOM are both tree representations of XML - you parse the
file into a tree, and then you can navigate all around the tree as much as
you want. It's easy, but it must load the whole file into memory. Using SAX
w/o DOM or JDOM can use less memory if you do it right, but it's confusing
to do.

Alex