[jdom-interest] New benchmark

Alex Rosen arosen at silverstream.com
Tue Jul 2 12:20:49 PDT 2002

Great article!

I think that last problem is exactly the beta8 StringBuffer issue. When
parsing large files, the particular way we used StringBuffer meant that the
GC had a really hard time reclaiming the char arrays that it threw off, even
though there weren't reachable. I remember looking at it in Optimize-It, and
all of these char arrays were still being held on to, by references that
were called... I forget, some name that implied that they were ready for
freeing, but hadn't actually been freed. We fixed this a few days after beta
8, and it caused the parse time on Dennis' much_ado.xml file (198K) to be
reduced by an order of magnitude, if I remember correctly.

Alex