[jdom-interest] Re: Radical Suggestion

Laurent Bihanic laurent.bihanic at atosorigin.com
Mon Jul 29 08:41:50 PDT 2002

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> We can only be as simple as Java if XML is as simple as Java. Here I'm
> afraid it's not. A better mission statement would state "provide a
> solution for using XML from Java that is as simple as Java and XML
> themselves"

Yet the JDOM API could offer methods to make the developers work simpler.
For example, Element could support methods getChild/getChildren(String name,
boolean ignoreNamespace) to match child nodes in any namespace or a
constructor Element(String name, boolean inheritParentNs) to create elements
that will automatically inherit the namespace of their parent node whenever
attached to a new parent.

These methods will never be used internally when building documents from text
XML documents but could prove useful to many.

Laurent