[jdom-interest] performance on tonights CVS

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Thu Mar 14 20:08:33 PST 2002

> However, something in the way SAX is being used has impacted my Builder.
> build performance which has slipped some 40% in the wrong direction.
> I have not profiled it yet, but was wanting to know if anyone has a
> quick explaination or suggestion on how to get it back up to beta 7
> build speeds.

Seems the most substantial cause for a slowdown is the addition of the
Verifier checking every character now to ensure it's legal.  That's
something I had held off including, but it snuck in along with the Text
class.  It's correct to do, but there's a substantial performance price.

I've been brainstorming with Brad about how to work around this so
there's no verification when using a parser.  Sadly with the package
breakout it's not easy.  It wasn't easy a year ago when we first faced
this.

Ideas are most welcome, but if nothing surfaces I'm tempted to remove
that verification check.  For the price, I think it provides minimal
benefit.

There may be other performance changes also.  Sometimes it's the
funniest little thing that can slow you down.