[jdom-interest] performance on tonights CVS

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Fri Mar 15 07:21:50 PST 2002

>Would it be possible to make a package protected non-verifying
>subclass of Text in org.jdom.input that could be used by SAXBuilder,
>etc? To everything outside the org.jdom.input package this would just
>be a Text object. Is it possible to subclass a public class with a
>non-public class? Even if it has to be public, such a class still
>might make sense.

Wouldn't the end result be that any document created by saxbuilder would
never verify the characters?

To me it would make more sense for the Text class to have a publicly
available boolean property, verifyCharacters.  The JDOM factory could set it
to false accomplishing the same thing a subclass would, for better or worse.

Almost no code I have been involved with even has the possibility of
inserting bad characters, and having no way to turn off verification would
be a serious flaw IMHO.