[jdom-interest] Re: [Fwd: JDOM ?]

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Fri Mar 15 12:46:56 PST 2002

bob mcwhirter wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Jason Hunter wrote:
>
> > I suspect the time to build a parser only matters if you're doing many
> > super-small documents.  That's probably going to be common with SOAP and
> > such, so this is something to watch.
>
> I might argue differently.  In my current project[0], I'm using small, medium
> and fairly large documents.  The trick is, at any given point in time, there's
> probably a many document in-flight between a few dozen computers.  I think
> that there's an argument that in many 'enterprise' grade applications, a
> significant number of documents, regardless of average size, are being
> processed.

My point is that construction time as a percentage of overall time
probably only matters for small documents.  If you're parsing a 2 Meg
file, you probably don't notice it takes 20ms to get the parser
constructed.  But if you're parsing 500 byte files, you do notice.

> > Kim, perhaps you want to run some tests on how long it takes to setup
> > parsers.  Just use a no-op content handler.
>
> I'd be interested in knowing this also.  I think something like Aelfred
> probably sets up a lot quicker than, say, Xerces.

Yep, right now we're just armchair performance tuning.  :-)