[jdom-interest] JDOM performance Linux vs. Window 2000

David D. Lucas ddlucas at lse.com
Sat Mar 23 05:56:10 PST 2002

For the best performance on server side with Linux, we use IBM JVM
1.3.0.  But do not use it for GUI it has problems displaying in KDE 2.x.
JDOM 1.0 beta8 rc1 with Xerces 2.01 works great, is faster and fixed
some memory overhead we were seeing.

I would expect from a purely JVM standpoint they will be about the same
performance on win2k and linux.  The issues you will see is Linux
behaves somewhat better over a longer period of time. Things like memory
management and multitasking seem to run smoother on Linux than W2K.

There are also a few Linux Kernel patches coming down the road to
improve context switching between threads that will make the platform
standout more.

Hope that helps some.

Dave

Jason Hunter wrote:

> The most important determinent of JDOM performance is likely to be your
> JVM.  For example, I'm seeing JDK 1.4.0 with HotSpot to be about 3x
> faster than JDK 1.2.2 with a JIT, on one application.  This is on Win2K.
>
> -jh-
>
> Jason Long wrote:
>
>>Has anyone benchmarked JDOM running on an identical machine using Linux vs.
>>Windows?  I have been using JDOM a lot in my applications which run
>>primarily as servlets in Tomcat 4.0.3.  I want to switch some of my servers
>>from Windows 2000 to Redhat 7.2.  I would appreciate any comment on
>>performance of JDOM or Tomcat in general on Linux/Windows 2000.
>>
>>Best Regards,
>>
>>Jason Long - President
>>Supernova Software - supernovasoftware.com
>>BS Physics, MS Chemical Engineering

>>To control your jdom-interest membership:
>>http://lists.denveronline.net/mailman/options/jdom-interest/youraddr@yourhost.com

| David Lucas                        mailto:ddlucas at lse.com  |
| Lucas Software Engineering, Inc.   (740) 964-6248 Voice    |
| Unix,Java,C++,CORBA,XML,EJB        (614) 668-4020 Mobile   |
| Middleware,Frameworks              (888) 866-4728 Fax/Msg  |
| GPS Location:  40.0150 deg Lat,  -82.6378 deg Long         |
| IMHC: "Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life."  |
| IMHC: "I know where I am; I know where I'm going."    <><  |

Notes: PGP Key Block=http://www.lse.com/~ddlucas/pgpblock.txt
IMHO="in my humble opinion" IMHC="in my humble conviction"
All trademarks above are those of their respective owners.