[jdom-interest] Unicode & JDOM

Alex Iskold alex.iskold at thesmallworlds.com
Mon Nov 4 06:33:33 PST 2002

Hi all,

I am writing a program that transforms Java code into a flavor of XML.
Part of Character.java are lots Unicode characters. For example, on line 81:

public static final char   MIN_VALUE = '\u0000';

When I translate this into XML I get the following exception:

org.jdom.IllegalDataException The data "'[]" is not legal for a JDOM attribute: 0x0 is not a legal XML character.
 at org.jdom.Attribute.setValue(Attribute.java:517)
 at org.jdom.Attribute.<init>(Attribute.java:245)
 at org.jdom.Attribute.<init>(Attribute.java:265)
 at org.jdom.Element.setAttribute(Element.java:1393)

I looked up previous archives and changed the encoding in XMLOutputter to
outputter.setEncoding( "ISO 10646-1" );

Now the parser can't read the docs at all.

Please let me know how to fix this.

Thank you,

Alex

Small Worlds