FW: [jdom-interest] Outputting escaped entities in element text

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Thu Oct 3 09:00:43 PDT 2002

Isn't the fix to use setEncoding("US-ASCII") and that way, it will come out
as &#2014;, or am I missing something?

It seems that half of the questions on this list are "I want my character to
appear as &#number; but it comes out as "x". How do I mess up my document so
this doesn't happen?" when the question should be "How do I make
XMLOutputter output it the way I want?", and the answer should be
setEncoding("[something]") or similar. Perhaps a way to define a custom
encoding for XMLOutputter to use, so that people who liked their "$" to
appear as &#0036; or even their "A"s to appear as &#0065; could have their
wishes granted.

Robert Munro