[jdom-interest] XPath support

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Sep 1 06:49:06 PDT 2002

At 9:17 AM -0400 8/29/02, bob mcwhirter wrote:

>It may be ugly, but if they could tag their nodes with an numeric
>node-type, we could rid ourselves of lots of instanceof checks in the
>Navigator.

That seems to be a very bad idea to me. Even if you could use a
profiler to prove this is a performance bottleneck, you'd still be
duplicating a core language feature with an extra-language
convention. It's entirely possible that in a future release of Java
or a different VM instanceof would be sped up to the point where it
was not a bottleneck and might well be faster than the integer type
codes you suggest. A very similar thing happened with strings between
Java 1.0 and 1.1? a few years ago.

The original String class was so slow that a lot of high performance
applications invented their own String class. Then Sun fixed the
problems in the String class and suddenly, the optimizers were stuck
with a lot of messy code to maintain that didn't perform as well as
the naive code that used the standard String class.  The same thing
happened with synchronization a couple of version later. One of
JDOM's claim to fame is that it's Java native, and uses Java
facilities wherever available. I don't think this should change.