[jdom-interest] XOM

Dennis Sosnoski dms at sosnoski.com
Tue Sep 24 15:14:35 PDT 2002

When do you expect to have a reasonably firm API defined for XOM,
Elliotte? I downloaded 1.0d2 a few days ago and used it to prepare some
code samples for a talk I'm giving this weekend, only to find that the
API has already changed considerably in 1.0d3 (only a few changes, but
they effected about half the lines in my code samples). And by the way,
what does the "d" mean in the versioning?

It'll be interesting to try XOM out more once the API is stable.
Personally I see it as closer to DOM than JDOM in usage, with abstract
base classes used in place of DOM's interfaces. The comotose lists are a
nice simplification, but with the downside that a new list has to be
constructed for every access call (or at least the first one after any
change). The LGPL license also bothers me, since it's considerably more
restrictive than the Apache-style licensing used by JDOM and dom4j. Do
you care to comment on why you chose LGPL?

Thanks,

  - Dennis