SV: [jdom-interest] Line numbers

Phill_Perryman at Mitel.COM Phill_Perryman at Mitel.COM
Wed Aug 27 00:44:38 PDT 2003

I have been reading the mailing list and have seen a few requests like this
come along and the general answer has always been no.

I have always agreed that JDOM should be small, efficient and cover the
basics so users can extend for specific purposes.

I think however that we are also missing an opportunity to develop
extensions to JDOM which would be useful to a lot of people some of the
time so could the JDOM group support some JDOM extensions outside to the
jdom.jar file but within the jdom cvs and documented at jdom.org so people
know what is there.

Is there a JDOM contribution system where users can contribute specific
extensions and factory methods, I think if I went to the site and there was
a pre-built LineNumberElement class available which does line number
checking and maybe a FriendlyElement class which does getIntAttribute,
getDoubleAttribute, getDateAttribute, etc.  I would use them sometime and
it would make my life easier and JDOM richer.  For instance I have just
written a factory method that returns a JTree given an element and an
attribute name where each item in the tree represents a child element with
the text given by the attribute.

If the mailing list supported such things then they could be added into the
JDOM environment without disrupting the core JDOM system.

If this system already exists forgive my ignorance and point my in the
right direction so I can see what is there and find out how to contribute
to it. I don't have the understanding to play with JDOM but I could at
least put something useful back into the jdom project (as I seem to have
taken a lot out).

/Phill
IS Dept, Software Engineer.
phill_perryman at mitel.com
http://www.mitel.com
Tel: +44 1291 436023
----- Forwarded by Phill Perryman/Cal/Mitel on 27/08/2003 08:21 -----

                      Paul Cantrell
                      <cantrell at pobox.co       To:       Jason Hunter <jhunter at servlets.com>, Per Norrman <pernorrman at telia.com>,
                      m>                         jdom-interest at jdom.org
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      jdom-interest-admi       Subject:  Re: SV: [jdom-interest] Line numbers
                      n at jdom.org

                      26/08/2003 20:33

A reasonable response, Jason -- I could hardly care less about 4 bytes,
but others may not be working under constaints as forgiving as mine.

Still, this seems like a problem of general interest with a general
solution.  Perhaps JDOM could include this as an optional feature --
you could pass an option to SAXBuilder, and it would create a subclass
of Element with the additional information.  That gives casual users
like me something to use without compromising things for
resource-sensitive users. Per's code looks like a fine starting point
for that.

Cheers,

Paul

http://lists.denveronline.net/mailman/options/jdom-interest/youraddr@yourhost.com