[jdom-interest] Entity Ref

Jason Long jason at supernovasoftware.com
Sat Feb 22 11:07:22 PST 2003

Elliotte,

Thank you very much for your timely reply.

Here is my procedure:
1. Client uploads csv generated from legacy system.
2. I convert the file to xml and then use jdom to group fields with like
terms, sum one of the columns, ect.

My problem is that one for the columns needs to be expanded so that it will
display properly when converted with XSL to HTML.

legacy generated csv line:
3.500,9.30,"P-110","8-RD EUE","MAHA","HOUSTON","IN STOCK",660.00

jdom generated line:
<item id="0" size="3.500" weight="9.30" grade="P-110" endFin="8-RD EUE"
mill="MAHA" location="HOUSTON" status="IN STOCK" footage="660.0"
price="1.00" />

The solution that I would like to implement is as follows:
If I add a dtd as follows and modify the mill attribute to be an entity,
&MAHA;:
<!ENTITY MAHA "New API Seamless Maharashtra">

The xml parser expands this to:
<item id="0" size="3.500" weight="9.30" grade="P-110" endFin="8-RD EUE"
mill="New API Seamless Maharashtra" location="HOUSTON" status="IN STOCK"
footage="660.0" price="1.00" />

This is why I would like my jdom generated file to read as:
<item id="0" size="3.500" weight="9.30" grade="P-110" endFin="8-RD EUE"
mill="&MAHA;" location="HOUSTON" status="IN STOCK" footage="660.0"
price="1.00" />

I apologize if I am missing something.  It is just that it works fine if I
manually add the entities to an xml file and read from the data from there.
I just wish I could do this programmatically using JDOM.  I would appreciate
any suggestions.

Thank you in advance,

Jason Long - CEO and Chief Software Engineer
Supernova Software - supernovasoftware.com
BS Physics, MS  Chemical Engineering