[jdom-interest] Namespace issues, et al.

Malachi de AElfweald malachi at eoti.org
Sat Feb 22 01:35:22 PST 2003

jb>> If you posted and didn't see any replies, please post again.

Ok, I have just started using Schemas and Namespaces.... As such, I am
running into some problems. Looking at the list, it appears that Namespace
problems are very common with JDOM, so I thought someone (Elliotte?) might
be able to shed some light on these issues.

I started by trying to wade through the various comments over the last
couple years on the list.  There were a lot, to say the least. So, trying
another approach, I pulled up the W3 spec ( http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-
names11/ ).

Section 6.2 (please read that section before insisting that I am misreading
it) states that namespaces get retained within scope. Specifically, it
explains (and SHOWS) that child elements keep the same namespace of the
parent element unless otherwise specified.  Also, it states that attributes
use the same namespace as the enclosing element, unless stated otherwise.

Now, before we go further, those two items seem to be the root cause of
most of the namespace problems I read on the list and experienced myself.
If you glanced over the last paragraph, reread it.