[jdom-interest] Namespace issues, et al.

Bradley S. Huffman hip at a.cs.okstate.edu
Sun Feb 23 09:12:42 PST 2003

Elliotte Rusty Harold writes:

> No, no, no. Both claims are wrong, though the attribute claim is more
> wrong than the element claim. I don't know what you're looking at,
> but there is no section 6.2. Section 5.2 states, and I quote, "the
> default namespace does not apply to attribute names"

I think it's Section 2 "Declaring Namespaces" that's causing the
misunderstanding. Specifically the two definitions that start out
with "If the attribute" are being incorrectly applied to  *all*
attributes, not just *declaration* attributes. I think if they had
used the word "declaration" instead of "attribute" those definitions
wouldn't be mis-interrupted and incorrectly applied.

I'd suggest newbies forget the spec.s and first go to your site for the
well written seminar notes you have on namespaces:

    www.cafeconleche.org/slides/xmlone/london2002/namespaces

After that, then go back and read the spec.s. It should make things a
lot clearer.

Brad