[jdom-interest] Namespace issues, et al.

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Feb 23 14:52:57 PST 2003

At 1:43 PM -0800 2/23/03, Malachi de AElfweald wrote:
>So, you are saying that the example on the W3 page CAN NOT be
>validated, since the 'href' attribute wouldn't be considered
>part of the xhtml dtd?

No, we're not saying that at all. You think namespaces do a lot more
and mean a lot more than they actually do. Thus you keep making
assumptions that aren't true. Your latest is that namespaces have
anything to do with validation. They don't. DTDs validate elements
and attributes by name only, irrespective of what namespace those
names are in. I know it's hard, but it's not you. The namespaces spec
is poorly written. You've now stumbled into another hole lots of
developers fall into, the intersection between namespaces and DTDs.
The only way to make sense out of the namespaces spec is to be
extremely careful to read only what it says, and do not read between
the lines.

I strongly recommend you forget you ever read the namespace spec, and
instead go read a good third-party exposition of this content as can
be found in many intro XML books.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |