[jdom-interest] XmlOutputter - printNamespace - NO_NAMESPACE outputs xmlns="", bug?

Eric VERGNAUD eric.vergnaud at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jul 4 19:06:08 PDT 2003

le 5/07/03 3:16, Elliotte Rusty Harold à elharo at metalab.unc.edu a écrit :

> At 2:36 AM +0200 7/5/03, Eric VERGNAUD wrote:
>
>> Would someone on this list be less happy if dummies are more happy ?
>>

> Yes. What you're asking makes the API more complex. It makes it
> harder to explain. It makes it less consistent. It is unneeded by
> almost everyone who uses JDOM. It is a completely different model of
> namespaces than what JDOM uses now. Adding an option here would make
> JDOM's internals more complicated, less robust, and more buggy. It
> helps users do the wrong thing, and encourages them to misunderstand
> and misuse namespaces. It's a lose-lose situation.

Well Elliotte, thanks for being so arrogant. At least now we know why you're
stuck on this subject. It's just because you're deeply frozen by the lack of
respect to people who happen to think different.

While people at Sun are getting aware that Java still needs to be improved,
notably because more and more people are getting tired of verbose
programming (just think of what it takes to convert a string to an int:
int i = Integer.decode(str.trim()).intValue(), and so they are putting
things in 1.5 to make programmers lives easier, you seem to think that
everyone's brains should be modeled on yours.

I respect your brains, I have one of your books on my shelf, and I allow you
to be different. So please let ME be different. I have brains of my own, and
I hate complexity when it's not needed.

If you hate dummies, why do you write books for them ?

> It's a very bad idea, and it isn't going to happen.

Are you the only person in charge ? I thought this was an open-source
collaborative project, managed by Brett and Jason. I was proposing to help,
but I'm not sure I want to collaborate with people like you.

I've had a close look at the code, and my thinking is it would take less
than 50 lines of code, without breaking anything, to implement this. So if
anyone other than Elliotte is sufficiently open-minded to have a look at it,
I'm willing to write this code, test it, and submit it for approval.

Regards,

Eric