[jdom-interest] XHTML issues

Jason Hunter jhunter at servlets.com
Fri Jul 25 12:55:15 PDT 2003

> Yes, including the characters directly and outputting with UTF-8 does
> work, even just on -b9 (as long as you created your OutputStreamWriter
> using the right encoding), no need for latest-CVS. I simply have a
> *preference* for defining them as entities, either named or numerical,
> and keeping the XHTML source 7-bit clean. I know HTTP is guaranteed
> 8-bit safe, and browsers should cope, but I also want it to be readily
> viewable in any text editor, specifically nedit in my case, which
> doesn't have UTF-8 awareness.

Then you really shouldn't output with UTF-8.  :-)

The ability to add characters for special escaping is what we added
after beta 9.  In UTF-8 no chars needs to be escaped since it represents
all of Unicode 2.0.  Our default escape strategy is only to escape what
can't be represented, but you can override that.