[jdom-interest] Re: [Jython-users] Scripting Pages in Java Web Applications

Frank Cohen fcohen at pushtotest.com
Tue Jun 17 06:23:31 PDT 2003

Hi Mike: On your suggestion I read JSR 223 again
(http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=223). I have the same concerns as
when I wrote my email yesterday. Maybe I am misunderstanding 223 and I
would appreciate your clarification.

I read 223 to say that there will be a standard way from a servlet
container to run a script. For example, if I am using Tomcat I will be
able to bundle a PHP script into the WAR file, and when the deployed
servlet is called, then Tomcat will execute the PHP script by calling
the PHP interpreter running outside of the Java VM. Is this correct?
How do you see the call being made from Java to the script language
interpreter?

What I would rather see is a JSR that standardizes the use of Java byte
codes in scripting languages. By doing so, the script languages (PHP,
Perl, and all the others) would have a standard way to run as 100% Java
applications and have access to any Java object on the classpath. This
would be a powerful and reliable way to use my existing Java-based
infrastructure and would promote the Java platform.

-Frank