[jdom-interest] Activating SAX string interning feature by default

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Jun 27 07:52:14 PDT 2003

At 4:01 PM +0200 6/27/03, Laurent Bihanic wrote:
>Shouldn't SAXBuilder set SAX string interning feature to true by
>default? Is there any drawbacks in using this feature?

1. Whatever the time cost is to intern strings.
2. Not all parsers support interning. We can catch that with a catch
block, but we can't easily rely on interning in code.

Still might be worth doing, but some hard numbers would be helpful.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu
   Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
   http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA