[jdom-interest] Activating SAX string interning feature by default

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Jun 27 07:52:14 PDT 2003

At 4:01 PM +0200 6/27/03, Laurent Bihanic wrote:
>Shouldn't SAXBuilder set SAX string interning feature to true by
>default? Is there any drawbacks in using this feature?

1. Whatever the time cost is to intern strings.
2. Not all parsers support interning. We can catch that with a catch
block, but we can't easily rely on interning in code.

Still might be worth doing, but some hard numbers would be helpful.

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu
   Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)