[jdom-interest] CVS and JDOM license

Alex Rosen arosen at novell.com
Sun Mar 2 12:00:02 PST 2003

The JNLP spec says that all the JARs in your JNLP app must be signed by
the same person. They think this makes things less confusing for the
user - they don't have to trust 10 different people, just the author of
the entire package, who promises that the application as a whole is
safe. Whether or not this is a good idea, it means that signing JDOM
won't help JNLP at all.

Alex

>>> Malachi de AElfweald <malachi at tremerechantry.com> 3/2/2003 11:24:09
AM >>>
In the license:
	In addition, we request (but do not require) that you include in
the
end-user documentation provided with the redistribution and/or in the

software itself an acknowledgement equivalent to the following:
	     "This product includes software developed by the
	      JDOM Project (http://www.jdom.org/)."
	 Alternatively, the acknowledgment may be graphical using the
logos
available at http://www.jdom.org/images/logos.

So, I have a recommendation.... We should distribute JDOM with an
"extension" JNLP
file that specifies logo, url, etc....  we would also need to sign the

jar... then,
when someone wants to distribute JDOM in a JNLP location, it would
display
the logo,
link to homepage etc.

Without this change, every person who distributes it with a JNLP
application has to
sign the jar itself -- ie: I have to sign saying that JDOM is signed by

"Malachi".

Malachi