[jdom-interest] SAXHandler Exception

Gareth Hall gareth.hall at student.umist.ac.uk
Wed Mar 5 10:59:52 PST 2003

Hi,

I'm experiencing something very strange with SAXHandler. I've a class
which takes some XML resources, gets there contents as SAX and then uses
SAX handler to get a JDOM document. I ran the class with no problems as
a stand alone. Then plugged this into the rest of my application ran
under Tomcat through my web app and received the Exception below. The
documents are perfectly legal, and the class works find as a standalone.

Anyone any ideas?

org.jdom.IllegalNameException: The name "" is not legal for JDOM/XML
elements: XML names cannot be n

ull or empty.

        at org.jdom.Element.setName(Element.java:223)

        at org.jdom.Element.<init>(Element.java:149)

        at org.jdom.Element.<init>(Element.java:162)

        at
org.jdom.input.DefaultJDOMFactory.element(DefaultJDOMFactory.java:137)

        at org.jdom.input.SAXHandler.startElement(SAXHandler.java:593)

        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXPars
er.java:459)

        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNamespaceBinder.startElement(XMLNamespaceBinde
r.java:572)

        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.startElement(XMLDTDValidator.
java:727)

        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(X
MLDocumentFragmen

tScannerImpl.java:759)

        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$ContentDispatcher.scanRoot
ElementHook(XMLDo

cumentScannerImpl.java:957)

        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDis
patcher.dispatch(

XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1544)

        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDo
cumentFragmentSca

nnerImpl.java:329)

        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java:5
25)

        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java:5
81)

        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:152)

        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java
:1175)

        at
org.exist.xmldb.XMLResourceImpl.getContentAsSAX(XMLResourceImpl.java:142
)

        at com.iol.beans.util.DBSearch.search(DBSearch.java:67)

        at
com.iol.beans.app.ApplicantUtilBean.searchApplicants(ApplicantUtilBean.j
ava:99)

Gareth J Hall

gareth.hall at student.umist.ac.uk

mobile: +447971037081