[jdom-interest] Is JDOM dying?

Malachi de AElfweald malachi at tremerechantry.com
Thu Mar 13 21:00:44 PST 2003

Well, I am creating schemas anyways, so that I can validate the XML - which
I never got to work with JDOM (though without JDOM it worked).

As far as the namespace stuff... it is just really annoying to have to
add it for every single element... a lot of my applications pass Element's
around -- and the classes handle that specific element, without any
namespace
knowledge...  For example, I implemented a JFileChooser that handles remote
filesystems (windows or unix)... They serialize the filesets, without any
knowledge of what enclosing tags they will be embedded in.  Most of the
time,
things like that are in a common routine, and the one actually
sending/receiving
the XML are in an application-specific handler... As such, two or three
different
classes may wrap it differently....

I am planning on writing a schema for the fileset stuff -- but right now I
don't have
one.  As such, I am outputting everything without any namespaces, since
there is no way
for the application-specific logic to make the decision for the common
routines (without
making lots of ugly overloaded methods)...

With JAXB, I say something like getFileset() and it returns me an object
that handles
it, and manages all the namespaces behind the scenes.  I set the namespaces
once on the
root element and am done with it. Much more convenient.

Malachi