[jdom-interest] Inheriting Namespaces

Stephan Trebels stephan at ncube.de
Fri Mar 14 10:33:23 PST 2003

Actually no change of JDOM is needed to implement the inheritance as
Vadim pointed out.  The behaviour, that was asked for, is possible to
implement using the current API, so there is no need to change any API
nor implementation.

All I asked was whether there was a possible trivial compromise with
those guys who want optional inheritance.  There was not but it is
possible in a two-step approach with a tree-walk expanding namespaces.

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 19:07, John Muhlestein wrote:
> I want to put in a vote for not changing the behavior of namespaces.  In my
> opinion JDOM is as loyal to the XML specification as possible and I dont
> believe it is the responsibility of the API to account for treatment which,
> while useful to some, seems to run contrary to the spirit of XML.  If
> enabling the JDOM to handle inheriting arbitrary elements is trivial (or
> even if it is not) then it should be up to the individual developer to
> extend the API to suite their needs.  This is the beauty of Java and open
> source.  I would hate to see the current API become more cluttered when it
> seems to be falling nicely into the 80/20 rule as it is and nearing a 1.0
> release.
>
> John
        Stephan Trebels <stephan at ncube.de>   Consultant
company: nCUBE Deutschland GmbH, Hanauer Str. 56, 80992 Munich, Germany
phone: cell:+49 172 8433111  office:+49 89 1498930  fax:+49 89 14989350