SV: [jdom-interest] One less TODO item

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Oct 8 06:14:20 PDT 2003

At 10:34 PM +0200 10/7/03, Per Norrman wrote:

>	http://www.ibm.com/us/
>	http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/
>	http://www.cafeconleche.org
>
>Obviously, URLConnection records the redirects that are happening, but not
>that it determined to supply the trailing slash on its own. Is this a bug in
>URLConnection?

Perhaps, but I don't think so. The URL class (and presumably
URLConnection though I'd have to check) will supply the / from
getPath if there's no path component in the URL, at least for the
http scheme.  What we see in your test case is that it will rewrite
the URL if necessary when there's a redirect. However from the
standpoint of the URL class scheme://authority does not require
rewriting. The URL class understands that this path is / without
stating it explicitly. However, other code like an XML parser that
depends on the external form of the URL class should understand and
account for this behavior, especially if its' going to do its own
realtive URL resolution.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu
   Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
   http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA